60 Second Senate 2/9/11
Published: Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Updated: Saturday, February 12, 2011 12:02
• Senate is looking for a new parliamentarian.
• Anyone who has ever been to one senate at Wellesley is allowed to run for the position
• Parliamentarian is a neutral position in charge of making sure that senate speakers follow Robert's Rules of Order and keeping time during senate
• The parliamentarian will serve on the steering committee of senate and meet with the CGP, Sec Treas and CGVP once a week.
• Statements of intent are due on Friday to the College Government and Student Senate conferences.
• Christine Kurtz from Alumnae Association visited Senate.
• Alumnae Achievement Awards will occur on Thurs Feb 17th at 5:30 p.m. in DCW
• For the first time, 20 seats at the catered, sit down dinner with the winner and family/friends will be awarded to students selected through a simple application process
• Contact CKurtz or ex 2336 w/any questions.
• Feb. 10 at 6:30 p.m. in Tower will be Special Memories Night with alumnae from every decade since the 1940's.
· The Administrative Liaison position has not been filled in four years, so it's not seen as vital to CG. However, you should bring this up to your constituents and see if any feel that this position is vital to the college.
· It was originally created to help CG and the elections committee with any problems they may have had during elections because special circumstances at the time had called for it.
· This semester CG will be continuing with the Senate Summit, and it is mandatory that each senator attend at least one.
· There was mention by multiple senators about putting more emphasis on coming up with solutions to problems as a whole, not just in Ad Hoc committees.
· There was also emphasis put on explaining CG and the roles senators and cabinet members play to the entire college community so that all students are aware of what we do.
· Wellesley Arab Women is hosting a talk on the situation in Egypt during community time.
· The college is still working on the plans to change/add some architecture around the school. As a part of these efforts, the school will be looking at Caz, Bates and Tower closely to study changes that should be made or things that should be kept. A focus group will be created later on.
·There will also be an initiative to review the CWS; the Deans will be looking to senate for input later in the semester.
· An alum very interested in raising awareness for environmental issues has donated funds towards this initiative, and any student can petition for funds from this.
· The college is conducting a self-study related to the NCAA. The deans want to include another student in the process.
· There will be a panel in Pendleton 239 to discuss Arizona political discourse; Profs. Burke, Cushman and Han will be speaking.